Bosch Speed Setting

Here is a great question posted by April earlier last month.  I wanted to answer it in a post so everyone is sure to see it.

April Asks:
I have one question that I haven’t found the answer to on your blog or in your book. What speed do you mix your dough in the Bosch? I’m new to the Bosch world (I had a KitchenAid before), and I get a different answer from everyone I ask. I just watched your videos and they were extremely helpful to be able to see the dough and how you do things. Still couldn’t see the dial on the Bosch though.

This is a great question, and has a very simple answer. Before I start I want to hold up my Bread Geek disclaimer that says:
“I the Bread Geek certify that I am not (nor probably every will be) an employee of Bosch, and as such hold no responsibility for the proper/improper use of your personal bosch mixer, etc..”

Ok, now that that’s taken care of, let’s move on.

I was taught by a friend of mine that DOES work for Bosch that all bread mixing should always be done on Speed 1. The reason for that (as she expained to me) is that changing the speed of the mixer does just that.  The dough hook moves faster.  Not with more power, just faster. Higher speed levels are good for mixing and whipping liquids, just to speed up preparation time. But with dough, choosing a higher speed can damage your machine. Here’s an analogy:

If you are wading through a river running hip-high, would it be faster to try and run, or to plod methodically along until you reach the other bank? With your legs down in the water, you cant increase your power by increasing your speed.  On the contrary, if you try to go too fast you’ll end up getting your feet washed out from under you and going under. Your best chance is to move along at a steady pace, making the most of the power you have.

The same goes for your mixer. Increasing the speed will only force the dough hook to try and move through the dough faster (like running in deep water) and will ultimately wear out/burn up your machine.

April I hope that makes sense, and that you are enjoying your Bosch as much as I love mine!

Sincerely,
The Bread Geek

Comments

1. says

Yes that does answer my question. Thank you! I had finally settled on speed 2 bc that seemed a happy compromise. I will do it on 1 from now on.

2. says

Since you are answering questions I have more! When I make the sourdough I use 100% white whole wheat. It doesn’t achieve the right texture or flavor. It just tastes like wheat bread that is round and has the crumb of sandwich bread. Do you ever make yours from all wheat? Do you do anything differently? Mine looks nice but doesn’t taste special.

• says

Yes I do. Whole wheat sourdough will always have a slightly more dense crumb, but you can extend the rise time to give i more “holes” and more sour. do one long rise, then shape your dough, cover it and refrigerate it for another 12 hours. Let it warm a bit and then bake it.

3. says

Next question. I love pasta. I have made it from scratch before but that is not something I can do often with 6 kids. Especially not stuffed pastas like tortellini and ravioli. Tonight we are having this fantastic tortellini soup with naturally leavened bread. Does eating them together diminish th impact of the tortellini white flour unhealthiness? Is there enough natural leavening to redeem the tortellini?

• says

It will to a certain degree. It is better than nothing for sure, but isn’t a cure-all :). The new cookbook has naturally yeasted pasta, so make sure and get a copy next august!

4. cindi says

hi melissa! i’ve been making bread for several months using a recipe online for artisan bread. all you do is mix the flour, liquid, a bit of dry yeast and a bit of salt. then you stir till mixed, let sit out overnight, shape a very soft dough, let rise again, then plop into a preheated dutch oven. even though there is NO kneading, the texture is wonderful. it’s a very soft dough. my question for you is, i’d like to make the naturally yeasted bread the same way. have you ever tried that? all of your recipes have the baker knead the dough before the long rise, but i’d love to know if it’s been tried any other way. i am not opposed to kneading, i just love the quickness of putting this dough together and i don’t want flat bread! oh! one other question! in place of kneading in the machine (i do have one :); would the “folding” method or that “slap” method work just as well? thank you so, so much for your time in responding!!

• thebreadgeek says

Cindi thanks for your question! A stretch and fold method or slap and fold method would work great. Stretch and fold typically takes a little more involvement since you are performing the stretches 4-5 times between 1-hour intervals. Slap and fold is my favorite. I have had mixed results with a complete no-knead method, but it has worked to my liking many times. The difference you face here is that the natural yeast will not always be as explosive in its power as commercial yeast. Without conditioning the dough and integrating the starter well through some sort of kneading, the bread can often be dense. I would say that you should give it a try (at least twice) and let me know how it goes!

5. Deanna says

Melissa,
    I would like to know if I add to much flour and my dough is very stiff after I’ve let it rise can I add more liquid and knead and rise again? Or is it ruined and just trash it

• thebreadgeek says

That is a very good question! The very best time to assess the stiffness of your dough if you are using a mixer is a few minutes into the kneading process. I turn off the machine and poke the mass. If it resists at all, I add more water then. If it is more like batter, I add more flour. Once the dough has risen though…. it has been a while since I have attempted a rescue like this :). Because I am cheap and hate to throw ANYTHING away, I would do one of two things. One option is to try to knead in water, but honestly I don’t think it will work very well. The other option is to bake it as a more dense loaf that you know you will cut and toast for bread crumbs or stuffing. Never trash anything! My bad loaves usually turn into bread crumbs, and it has literally been years since I have trashed dough. The most important thing is that whether or not you are conscious of it or not, your body just gained a touch-memory about what too-dry dough feels like. Win!