Well, I had my first speed-baking segment on channel 2 this morning, and it went very well! It was daunting to try and identify the most critical aspect of whole wheat baking and demonstrate it in two minutes, but I feel like I managed well. Of course, I always understand what I’m talking about, it’s left to be seen how the rest of you fared .
The recipe I created for this segment is very simple and uses basic ingredients. Using commercial yeast was about as unhealthy as I could stand to get on this recipe. I wanted to provide something versatile and functional without unhealthy, expensive additives. Here you go!
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
This is a simple, healthy way to make everyday whole wheat bread for your family. Coconut oil is the secret ingredient to this bread, adding a soft, supple texture to the dough you will fall in love with. This recipe is easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled.
Yield: 1 loaf for a standard 10” loaf pan.
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon active dry yeast
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp salt
½ tablespoon coconut oil
1. Prove your yeast: Dissolve honey in warm water, add yeast and let bubble while you prepare the dry ingredients
2. Mix and knead ingredients: Stir dry ingredients together.
Make a “well” in the middle of the flour, then add yeast water and Coconut oil (melted or not works) to the well.
Mix until wet.
Dump onto work surface and knead until dough is strong and uniform.
3. Rise: Let rise 1 hour or until double in size
4. Shape into loaves or rolls
5. Final rise: 1 hour or until double
6. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. (or until thermometer inserted in loaf reads 190 degrees)